Neck pain refers to pain in the cervical spine. The cervical spine has an impressive amount of strength, complexity, and mobility, making this area of the body susceptible to pain or injury. Neck pain is an extremely common complaint, but it is rarely a sign of a more serious condition. However, if it is accompanied by numbness or loss of strength in the arms or hands, or if you have shooting pain in the shoulder or down the arm, seek medical attention right away.
The back consists of a complex structure of muscles, ligaments, tendons, discs, and bones, which work together to support the body and allow movement. The vertebrae in the back and neck are cushioned with soft, gel-like interiors called discs. Problems with any of these discs can lead to back pain. However, in some cases of back pain, its cause may be a result of strain, an underlying condition, poor posture, and more.
Neck Pain Symptoms
Neck pain can range from mild discomfort to a sharp, persistent pain. Pain may worsen by holding your head in one place for long periods. Other common symptoms of neck pain include:
- Stiffness of the neck
- Muscle spasms
- General soreness of the neck
Back Pain Symptoms
Back pain can range from a muscle aching to a shooting, burning, or stabbing sensation. Other common symptoms may include:
- Pain that spreads down one or both legs
- Weakness, numbness, or tingling in one or both legs
- Persistent back pain
- Ache or pain anywhere in the back
Neck Pain Causes
Neck pain may be caused by injuries, posture, or underlying conditions. The most common causes of neck pain include:
- Injury: Such as trauma from a bad fall or sports injury.
- Accident: Whiplash is an injury due to an auto accident that causes the cervical muscles to tighten and contract. This creates muscle fatigue and results in pain and stiffness.
- Poor posture: Slouching at your desk or constantly looking down at your phone, also known as “text neck” can cause neck pain.
- Sleeping in an uncomfortable position: Straining your muscles even a little during the night can cause soreness by morning.
- Age: With age, the body becomes more susceptible to injuries and conditions that can cause neck pain. Muscle strains, wear and tear on the joints, nerve compression, or specific diseases can cause neck pain.
Back Pain Causes
Back pain commonly stems from strain, tension, or injury. The most common causes of back pain include:
- Strain: muscle spasms, damaged discs, injury, or fracture.
- Structural problems: ruptured or bulging discs, arthritis, or sciatica.
- Movement and posture: twisting, muscle tension, or standing/sitting for long periods.
Treatment for back or neck pain may include rest, physical therapy and NSAIDs (nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory medications). If these fail to provide long-term relief, Rejuvinix offers a variety of personalized, minimally invasive solutions.
Rejuvinix Total Spine Care
Rejuvinix Total Spine Care can help patients find lasting relief from spine and back pain conditions using a minimally invasive approach that allows patients to resume normal activities the very next day. Our experienced team can treat the most common causes of neck and back pain from Sciatica and Spinal Stenosis, to Arthritis of the Spine and Nagging Neck and Back Pain. And for added safety, all treatments take place in an in-office setting by experienced doctors using advanced techniques to address your back problem and deliver lasting relief.